Friday, January 14, 2011

Nancy Drew, or Fashion for the Bungalow



My daughter and I made our way through a 'gently used' bookstore last night. We found several first edition Nancy Drew books (Trixie Belden, too... but her style was not so developed). I had fun sharing my memories of Nancy, Bess, George and Ned. My daughter looked through the books with curious interest, holding each as though it were a foreign object from some long-forgotten past. Those moments make me smile.

Now, I'm only 29, so the first editions predated me. I still remember checking them out from the library. Those older stories gave me my first glimpse into the past. I learned fancy words for friends, cars and homes. I also saw how Carolyn Keene (the real person, not the pen name used during my day by several authors) described Nancy's smart outfits. That girl was always put together.

I've collected some of Ms. Drew's best vintage looks. Here, now, for your enjoyment and my daughter's awe:


Pretty blouse with bow tie and matching skirt. Set waves with side part. Perfect for solving crime.



Bess gets my vote for best dressed on the dock. That green frock and matching hat take the cake! All three ladies look so composed, so overdressed by today's standards. Note the bobbed hair; those forward thinking gals.



This is perfect to go riding in that awesome car daddy gave her. Cloche, scarf, riding gloves. Nance knew her way around the accessory counter.




Matching dress, belt and purse. I know the matchy-matchy look is dated now, but sometimes I think it still packs a punch.


No comments:

Post a Comment