Wednesday, November 23, 2011

La Belle Époque


Remember in the 80's, when fashion regurgitated much of the Edwardian era's concepts and threw them up (or out) into the mainstream? As a child, my Easter outfits came complete with a parasol, bonnet, gloves and dainty laced socks. I don't know if it's from growing up in the 80's, but the Belle Epoque look has become dated. In recent years we've worked to streamline everything from our homes to our shoes to our fashion.

Beautiful things like lace, doilies, shawls, bed jackets...they've all been quietly stored in linen closets. Except for weddings. I guess because weddings can always be a bit over the top in terms of accoutrements.


I still feel the overall excessiveness of La Belle Époque is dated. In our current economy, walking to the grocery store dressed to the nines would be insulting to some, and confusing to most. A mink stole would seem bizarre, even at the opera.


All of that said, part of me is studying this era with an appreciative eye. I think the lines are unique and underused. The layering these women employed creates a stunning effect. Also meaning their heaters could run a little less come early fall.



Lace stoles are still lovingly hand-knit by incredibly talented fiber artists. The cost of quality, luxury yarn pushes the value of these garments into the heirloom category. They still capture the essence of past golden ages.


Some women from this era still appear quite fashionable by today's standards, proving that in our postmodern sensibilities there is room for a little of every past. Carefree beauty is timeless and forever de rigueur. Also often elusively French...

photo

Have you ever purchased patterns from the Decades of Style pattern company? I purchased two a few weeks ago. One is the Girl Friday blouse, a highly stylized 50's beauty that everyone I know has swooned over. The other is a 1920's tunic shirt. I am excited about it, and adore examples women have made on Pattern Review. My friends, the hubs and kids all seem less enthused. Last weekend my sister just stared at the pattern drawing. Blankly.

Which left me wondering if my home sewing mind had stepped too far away from mainstream fashion. Or if I cared.


This led me to wander aimlessly through the inter webs for these beautiful images. The pictures don't make it magically 'ok' to dress in this particular vintage fashion. They don't nullify our societal norms, making me suddenly more or less normal. I don't even think they validate my pattern choice.

Perhaps this is presumptive, but these snapshots create an emotion, don't they? Feelings can't exactly be bottled. Though I think they can be channeled as inspiration. That's where I'm at with la belle epoque.

photo



No comments:

Post a Comment